Tuesday, November 15, 2011

No Girls/Boys Allowed in My Book!


First off, I need to make an announcement: I am a very unwilling conscript in the Ongoing Gender War. I never read books like Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus, and I don't intend to start now.

I have, however, read just about every book Dr. Seuss ever wrote – some of them hundreds of times – and I've noticed something a little odd about his oeuvre, which is that there are, like, NO GIRLS in those books.

(Okay, a few exceptions: the little sister in The Cat in the Hat and One Fish Two Fish; the snooty kangaroo mother in Horton Hears a Who; and Mayzie, the lazy bird mother in Horton Hatches the Egg. There's a spare sprinkling of girl birds/little sisters in some of his less popular stories, too – but that's about it.)

I first noticed this curious phenomenon a long time ago, back when I was reading Seuss to my son, who is now fifteen. Then I mostly forgot about it, until recently, when we started pulling out all Everest's dog-eared favorites to read to Ravenna.

You want to know how many girls there are in If I Ran the Circus? (Yes, I counted). Here are the data:
  • 2 main characters, both male
  • 18 other people/creatures/animals whose sex is assigned with a pronoun: every single one is a “he”
  • other creatures are collectively referred to as “fellows”
  • pictures depicting crowd scenes include many people that appear to be male (because they have a mustache, say, or are wearing a 3-piece suit and a bowler hat) and very few that appear to be female (because they're wearing a hat with flowers, say): the most gender-balanced crowd contains 7 female figures to 21 male figures (=3x more males); more typical is 2-3 females to 15-16 males (=5x to 8x more males).

I felt a little strange reading this book to my daughter. I have to wonder if maybe Dr. Seuss just didn't think much about (or, perhaps, of) girls.

Okay, so what?

Well, maybe nothing.

But I had another weird moment recently when I looked at the art credits in the back of Patti Digh's Creative Is a Verb and noticed that they were all women's names. We're talking well over 130 credits, for artwork supposedly sent in by “readers” – not “female readers” – of her blog, and only two names could possibly have belonged to men: there was one Tony and one T.J. The rest were all Beverlys and Kathys and Marys.

Seriously, 130 to 2?

I can only assume that either men don't read her blog (and I'm not sure why that would be – as far as I can tell, her topic is gender-neutral), or they do read the blog but didn't respond to her invitation to submit art, or they did submit their art but she didn't like it.

Something funny's going on here.

I think it's high time for some serious sleuthing, a la Nancy Drew & the Hardy Boys (I read both series as a child – equal opportunity all the way!).

Essay Number Three, here we come!

1 comment:

  1. I grant she's a bit of a gender stereotype, but she does go on to collaborate with Slow Joe Crow.
    _________________
    New socks.
    Two socks.
    Whose socks?
    Sue's socks.

    Who sews whose socks?
    Sue sews Sue's socks.

    Who sees who sew whose new socks, sir?
    You see Sue sew Sue's new socks, sir.

    ReplyDelete