Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Not to Scale

Since my "I'm gonna write 1,000 poems" decision, I've written 5 poems. Not bad, I guess. I've got a 3-day car trip ahead of me, so I hope to write a few more -- hopefully, they won't all be about the existential loneliness of the open highway.

Actually, I do have a poem in mind: the past few days, I've been thinking about how we human beings actually have a very poor perception of scale. How big is the universe? How small is an atom? How big is that problem that's getting all of my attention, and how small is it in comparison to what's really important to me?

What's a big deal, and what is not? Sometimes there's a lot of meaning in a seemingly small gesture.

The poem, if I write it, will be called "Not to Scale."

Meanwhile, I leave you with a quote by Shigenori Kameoka (whoever s/he might be), which was shared with my by a dear friend of mine: "Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower."




No comments:

Post a Comment