Thursday, January 26, 2012

What I Read in 2011


My sister-in-law Kate recently posted a list of all the books she read in 2011 on her blog, and I was blown away: I think I counted 57. None of which I'd read, although there is a copy of Blindness on my shelf and I have been intending to read it for...oh, the last five years or so, in case that counts.

My list is much shorter. Here, in roughly chronological order, are the books I read in 2011:

Fanny Hill
Just Kids
The Glass House
Vox
The Bride Stripped Bare
Foolsgold
Jealousy: The Other Life of Catherine M.
Lit
Bliss:Writing to Find Your True Self
The Other Side of Desire
Writing From the Heart
Sex at Dawn
The War of Art
Creative Is a Verb
Ordinary Genius
The Chronology of Water
A Billion Wicked Thoughts
Bonk
High Fidelity

Nineteen books. A third of the number Kate read. Not that I'm competitive or anything.

Oh, have I mentioned that in 2011, she also found a literary agent, had a play produced, wrote the first draft of a YA novel for the NaNoWriMo competition, and made (and sold) a bunch of her new whimsical bird/people sculptures?

So I was surprised when Kate recently wrote me an email asking if I wanted to be her “writing buddy.” Her idea was that we'd send each other pages every week – not for feedback, exactly, just as a way of checking in. It seems to me that Kate is doing just fine on her own, and that I'm the one who could really benefit from some hand-holding – but hey, I'm not going to argue with her about who is likely to get more out of this deal. Sign me up, I told her.


1 comment:

  1. You make me sound much cooler than I really am! And anyway... it must say something about how awesome you are that I wanted you for my buddy. Am I right? Or am I right? Huh? Huh?

    ReplyDelete